Des Moines Corporate Housing and Furnished Apartments
The Almost Home Experience... Your Perfect Choice
Almost Home offers a wide variety of Des Moines, IA corporate housing options for every short or long term furnished apartment need you may have. Contact us today to receive a temporary housing quote customized just for you in your desired area of the city.
Des Moines Corporate Housing – First Time in the Area
We wish to help familiarize potential newcomers to life in Des Moines and therefore provide the following informative summary of various aspects of this city. Take a few moments to acquire the knowledge of a long-time resident before you arrive.
Those staying in corporate housing in Des Moines, IA for business reasons might appreciate some information about the city’s business environment. Des Moines has a balanced and diversified economy that is supported by government spending, services, retail, manufacturing and insurance industries. The manufacturing here is unique in the sense that it is not one of the largest source of employment for local residents, but it does contribute a significant income to the city. The raw material supply chain that feeds into the manufacturing companies hire more locals than the manufacturing companies themselves, as such it is the supply chain that injects the economy with a larger financial benefit.Manufacturing in the area is primarily involved in cosmetics, furnaces, agricultural equipment and automotive equipment. This supply chain creates more jobs upstream than it does at the manufacturing level.However, the largest contributor to the local economy, in terms of revenue and by the number of jobs created, is the insurance industry that, collectively, has the headquarters of 70 major insurance firms located in Des Moines. This makes Des Moines a major player in the insurance industry.
Knowing what clothing to bring with you to your Des Moines, IA furnished apartment is somewhat dependent on the local climate. Des Moines has a fairly humid climate. Spring is cool with average high temperatures ranging between 62°F in April to 72° in May. Summers heat up to peak at 85°F in July. Fall temperatures reach average highs of 76° in September, then cools marginally to lows averaging 43° in October. Winters are cold starting in November and going on till early March, with January being the coldest at 24°F. So, be sure to dress right and then venture out of your Des Moines, IA corporate apartment to enjoy the wide variety of outdoor activities that this area offers.
Being a temporary resident in Des Moines, IA corporate housing need not relegate you to feeling like a complete outsider. Acquaint yourself with Des Moines’s history by reading our brief historical summary provided below.Des Moines has verifiable history that dates to settlements in the area as far back as 7,000 years ago. The location of the city, at the confluence of the Des Moines River and the Raccoon River made it a highly convenient place for travel, farming and game hunting. The inhabitants that were here at the time of the European arrival were the Sauk and Meskwaki tribes.In 1843, Fort Des Moines was built in the current location of the city. It was situated at the confluence of the two rivers. The name originated from French Explorers who had labeled this place as "la riviera de moines", meaning, the river of monks. However there is controversy to what that possibly meant. There is a debate on whether it referred to the De Moyen, who were some of the tribes that settled here. The truth is unclear. We do know that the name did come from the French, however.
Places to Eat Near Des Moines Corporate Housing
All of Almost Home’s Des Moines, IA furnished apartments have fully equipped kitchens, making cooking both easy and enjoyable. However, many of our residents still enjoy dining out from time to time. You might want to give the following restaurants a try:
- Hargar's Manhattan Deli in Ingersoll Ave: Hagar's is an old fashioned deli that serves a well-liked array of sandwiches and deli items. They offer an extensive vegetarian selection of items including the popular Mama Mia. This place only accepts cash. It's a casual restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol.
- Jethro's BBQ on Forest Ave: Jethro's is a southern themed barbecue restaurant that's priced affordably. It has a casual ambience and offers free parking conveniently. Most people dress casually here. Seating is indoor and out on the patio.
- El Bait Shop on SW 2nd St: El Bait's is a Tex-Mex restaurant with a full bar and barbecue menu. They are open for lunch starting at 11 am and close at 2 am. Prices are affordable and there is live music on some nights with a jukebox on at other times. It's a divey place but the crowd is energetic. Try the Bacon Wrapped Tater tots. They have an extensive beer selection here with almost 120 varieties on tap and 150 different bottles.
- The Flying Mango on Hickman Rd: The Flying Mango is an affordable restaurant offering traditional American menu. They have a full bar and take reservations, which is a good idea on weekends. Locals find the wine selection adequate and the beef prepared well. The brisket pulls away from the bone nicely and is a definite favorite.
- Proof on Locust St: Locust is a Mediterranean Tapas restaurant that serves items like bite sized lamb burgers and beet salad. They have a significant number of different flavors present and as a true tapas bar, that allows you to sample more than just a few varieties at each meal. Try the Roasted Marrow Appetizer.
Things to do in Des Moines
Stepping out of your Des Moines, IA temporary housing is bound to present you with numerous interesting activities. We have listed a few possible entertainment options that may appeal to you.
Whatever your reason for visiting Des Moines, Almost Home Corporate Housing is your best choice to provide you with a furnished apartment in Des Moines, IA that is perfectly tailored to meet your unique housing needs. Call us today to receive a quote or fill out our simple housing request form at the top of this page.
- Museum: The Des Moines Art Center is a new age art museum with classical roots. They exhibit a wide range of mediums and styles on a rotating schedule. They also have visiting exhibits. Some of the artists that have been featured here include Anselm Reyle and Katherine Knight.
- Theater: The Des Moines Performing Arts Theater is a an entertaining venue with an eclectic schedule. From the Spirit of Uganda to Blue Man Group, and Habib Koite to classics like the Phantom of the Opera, the Civic Center has a lot to offer local residents.
- Golf: The Beaver Creek Golf Course is a 27 hole course that is designed for the novice and the professional. The course is played from one of three tees with the longest tee flying three hundred yards further than the closer ones on all three nines. The 27 holes are divided into the East Nine, West Nine and the South Nine.
- Parks: The Grandview Park located on Easton Blvd was built in the late 1800s. The age of the park affords it a mature landscape with towering trees and shady enclaves. There are basketball courts, picnic tables, tennis courts and a wading pool.
Request a Quote