Those staying in corporate housing in New Haven, CT for business reasons might appreciate some information about the city’s business environment. New Haven’s economic base is founded on education and healthcare. Its revenue streams are dominated by Yale University and the services and population that exists because of it, as well as the medical center. Both Yale University and the Medical Center employ more than 50% of the population of the entire state of Connecticut. The two organizations also employ the most number of highly paid professionals in the state.
Aside from health care education, the city also has other industry representation. Of the areas, above and beyond education and healthcare, services account for more than 50%, while finance and real estate are responsible for just under 10%. There are a number of Fortune 500 companies that originate from, and are still based in, New Haven. Some of these include New Alliance Bank, Peter Paul Candy (a division of Hershey), Higher One Holdings, and Achillon Pharmaceuticals.
Knowing what clothing to bring with you to your New Haven, CT furnished apartment is somewhat dependent on the local climate. New Haven experiences a mix of humid, continental, and subtropical climate, with rainfall throughout the year. It enjoys a warm Spring with temperatures between 56°F in April to 68° in May caused by tempering coastal factors. Summers are characterized by temperatures reaching the 80s in July. Fall temperatures average 53° in November, then cools down to lows of 22° in January. Winter stretches from November to early February. So, be sure to dress right and then venture out of your New Haven, CT corporate apartment to enjoy the wide variety of outdoor activities that this area offers.
Being a temporary resident in New Haven, CT corporate housing need not relegate you to feeling like a complete outsider. Acquaint yourself with New Haven’s history by reading our brief historical summary provided below.
The New Haven area was originally home to the Quinnipiac tribe. They populated New Haven’s natural harbor and engaged in fishing as well as some organized planting. There was some Dutch presence in the early 17th century, with the arrival of Adriaen Block. However, the trading was marginal; and the Dutch traders never gained a strong foothold in the area, except for a small trading post with minimal activity.
The Puritans arrived in the 1630s during a time when the Quinnipiack were under threat of attack by another tribe, the Pequots. In return for protection, the Quinnipiac agreed to sell their land to the Puritans. The Puritans were led by Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eton. They were a split from the Puritan colony in Massachusetts.
New Haven’s harbor provided a solid potential for trade and industry, a way to prosper and flourish. By 1640 the town was platted and the city named New Haven. The area outside newly-formed New Haven, was still called Quinnipiac.
Places to Eat Near New Haven Corporate Housing
All of Almost Home’s New Haven, CT furnished apartments have fully equipped kitchens, making cooking both easy and enjoyable. However, many of our residents still enjoy dining out from time to time. You might want to give the following restaurants a try:
- Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana on Wooster St.: This is an authentic, contemporary pizza parlor with traditional pizza recipes made with fresh ingredients and inventive concoctions. They use a seasoned brick oven, which is the highlight of the restaurant. Try the White Clam Pie or the tomato pie. The Pizzaria offers take-out but not delivery and has adequate street and private parking.
- Caseus Fromagerie and Bistro on Whitney Ave.: This restaurant serves typical American fare with a penchant towards cheese. The kitchen is highly versatile with its cheese selection and uses them liberally in all their preparations. Try the French Onion Soup and the Mac and Cheese. They do not have take-out or delivery but offer a causal environment and a fairly priced menu that is rich in flavor.
- Skappo on Crown St.: Skappo is an upscale restaurant offering diners a sophisticated menu with items ranging from Black Truffle Crostini to Braised Rabbit. They offer an intimate and romantic setting and a bar that serves only wine and beer.
- Prime 16 on Temple St.: Prime 16 is a bar and gastropub that serves burgers which the locals rave about. They particularly like the NY Steakhouse Burger. The prices are reasonable and the there is wide selection of craft beer. Try the Sweet Potato Fries and the Spinach Pesto Sandwich.
- Tikkaway Fresh Indian Grill on Orange St.: Visiting Tikkaway is an inexpensive way to get an Indian meal. It’s like a cross between an Indian restaurant and a Subway restaurant. You get to choose your base, your protein and your veggie toppings as well as the different Indian sauces. It’s a fun place that is open till 9pm every day. There is free Wi-Fi, and they offer take-out but not delivery.
Things to do in New Haven
Stepping out of your New Haven, CT temporary housing is bound to present you with numerous interesting activities. We have listed a few possible entertainment options that may appeal to you.
- Museum: The Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, located on Whitney Ave, is an extensive museum that has life size exhibits of prehistoric life including dinosaurs. There are also numerous exhibits of space as well as opportunities to learn about animals and nature.
- Theater: The Shubert Theater located on College St in New Haven is a diverse performing arts theater that showcases everything from the hit show Stomp to classical Cinderella, performed by the Russian National Ballet Theater. They periodically showcase operas and orchestral performances as well.
- Parks: The East Rock Park sits on top a 425-acre property that borders Hamden. The park is open from sunrise to sunset. The extensive park includes a river, a canoe launch, forests, walking and running tracks, baseball and softball field, a football field, and mountain bike trails.
Whatever your reason for visiting New Haven, Almost Home Corporate Housing is your best choice to provide you with a furnished apartment in New Haven, CT that is perfectly tailored to meet your unique housing needs. Call us today to receive a quote or fill out our simple housing request form at the top of this page.