Those staying in corporate housing in Oshkosh, WI for business reasons might appreciate some information about the city’s business environment. Oshkosh has a diverse economy, driven by tourism, manufacturing and confectionery. The combined industries make it one of the most active cities along the coast of Lake Winnebago.
In terms of tourism, there are a number of sectors that all under this category for a number of reasons. The first is the location of the city, which is on the shores of Lake Winnebago, a major destination for regional residents. The lake destination provides water-based summer activities.
In terms of tourism, Oshkosh is also famous for its annual EAA Airventure air show, which is the world’s largest air show held annually. During the days of the show, the small regional airport of Oshkosh becomes the world’s most trafficked airport, exceeding even that of New York and Chicago. In terms of manufacturing, there are two industries here. The first is a diverse manufacturing base that covers specialty trucking, defense equipment as well as commercial equipment. The Oshkosh Corporation is the central player in this industry. A number of companies that supply or cater to them are also situated in Oshkosh to provide rapid turnaround and service to them. The second, is the popular Oshkosh B’Gosh line of apparel. The plant that produces the apparel has moved to lower cost centers but the corporate offices still remain in Oshkosh.
Knowing what clothing to bring with you to your Oshkosh, WI furnished apartment is somewhat dependent on the local climate. Oshkosh experiences a continental climate that is cold in the winter and warm in the summer. Spring is characterized by mild temperatures between 55°F in April and 77° in May. Summers warm up to a peak of 81°F in July. Fall temperatures reach average highs of 59° in October, then cools marginally to lows averaging 29° in November. Winters are cold, stretching from December to March with lows in the teens. So, be sure to dress right and then venture out of your Oshkosh, WI corporate apartment to enjoy the wide variety of outdoor activities that this area offers.
Being a temporary resident in Oshkosh, WI corporate housing need not relegate you to feeling like a complete outsider. Acquaint yourself with Oshkosh’s history by reading our brief historical summary provided below. The original inhabitant of the area, especially the area that is now the location of Oshkosh was the Menominee tribe. The town is named after its most famous of chiefs, Ojibwe Oshkosh. European settlers arrived on the heels of the fur traders that scouted the area in 1818. The forests of the area were rich sources of fur and the tribes were willing trading partners to the fur traders of Europe. The dense forests also turned out to supply the growing lumber industry in the East and the Midwest. The city was incorporated in 1853 as its population numbers grew to almost 3000. The lumber industry then accelerated from the fact that the waterways provided efficient means of transportation for the felled timber. Using the rivers and waterways, lumber was transported to the mills and customers alike. Eventually the waterways were no longer sufficient and were replaced by the arrival of the rail road. Oshkosh then became the Sawdust Capital of the world. There were more then 40 mills by the late 1800s. Within two decades of its incorporation, the city reached numbers of 12,000, triple that of the time it was incorporated.
Places to Eat Near Oshkosh Corporate Housing
All of Almost Home’s Oshkosh, WI furnished apartments have fully equipped kitchens, making cooking both easy and enjoyable. However, many of our residents still enjoy dining out from time to time. You might want to give the following restaurants a try:
- Pilora’s Cafe on N Main St.: This isa sandwich shop that caters specifically for breakfast and brunch. The also have breakfast items till closing at 4pm. The cornbread pancakes are popular here and so is the beef cheese soup. They also serve a wide variety of coffees. Try the Alterra Coffee.
- Gardina’s Wine Bar and Cafe on N Main St.: This place is great for lunch and dinner. They also offer take out and are suitable more for small parties rather than large groups. There is a full bar. The Fig Flatbread is popular as is the Crostini of Pear and the Prosciutto and Honey.
- Friar Tucks on W South Park Ave.: Friar Tucks is a dinner restaurant and a night place suitable to party till late. They don’t have a dancing floor but do have a full bar. The finger food and appetizer menu is especially popular here as they pair well with cocktails. Try the French Onion soup and the cheese curds.
- The Vintage on S Washburn: The Vintage is an upscale restaurant that serves traditional steakhouse meals. From NY Strip to Lamb Nachos and Smoked Gouda this place has a number of unique combinations of flavors. The average meal runs about $60 per person and it is rather dressy. It’s not the best place to take the kids and it has a full bar.
Places to Go in Oshkosh
Stepping out of your Oshkosh, WI temporary housing is bound to present you with numerous interesting activities. We have listed a few possible entertainment options that may appeal to you.
- Shopping: The most popular shopping here is the Outlet Shopping at Oshkosh, located at S Washburn St. They have a number of stores that offer good deals and attract customers from far reaches of the state and many times from neighboring states as well.
- Museums: The Oshkosh Public Museum located on Algoma Blvd is house on the Edgar and Mary Jewell Sawyer house located in the historic district. The building is a tudor style revival and is magnificent to just appreciate from the outside. Inside there are more than 25,000 artifacts, images and documents that tell the story of Oshkosh from the time it was incorporated.
- Parks: The Paine Art Center and Gardens located on Algoma Blvd is a world class art exhibit that caters to the local public and tourists. They are open daily and feature art amidst an outdoor setting that is suitable for walks and family activity.
Whatever your reason for visiting Oshkosh, Almost Home Corporate Housing is your best choice to provide you with a furnished apartment in Oshkosh, WI that is perfectly tailored to meet your unique housing needs. Call us today to receive a quote or fill out our simple housing request form at the top of this page.